Friday, January 6, 2012

More to the Story
A Kingdom Torn in Two
Chapter 14, 1 Kings 12-16

God's Dysfunctional Family
 
“There was continual warfare between Rehoboam (King of the northern kingdom, now referred to in the Bible as Israel) and Jeroboam (King of the southern kingdom, referred to in the Bible as Judah)”.  1 Kings 14:30

“You (Jeroboam, King of the northern kingdom, Israel) have done more evil than all who lived before you. You have made for yourself other gods, idols made of metal; you have provoked me to anger and thrust me behind your back”. 1 Kings 14:9

“Judah (the southern Kingdom under Reheboam) did evil in the eyes of the LORD. By the sins they committed they stirred up his jealous anger more than their fathers had done”.    1 Kings 14:22

Some Thoughts on Dysfunctional Families
 
I am reading football player Tim Tebow’s book, Through My Eyes. It is excellent so far and I recommend it highly even if you never heard of him and hate football. He’s got incredible genes but what moves me even more is reading how his mom and dad have raised this incredible, enviable, almost perfect family. That both motivates me and depresses me, the former because great stories motivate me, the latter because I’m not like his incredible father.
 
Yet when I read The Story, The Bible, it jumps off the pages to me over and over that God relentlessly enters into the mess that is human history and into the mess that so many of our lives and families often are. That gives me a hope that I cannot find by looking back at or relying on my weak efforts as a father. In fact 2011 has been for me a year when I’ve had a front row seat in the reserved, really high priced section of the arena, FOR FREE, and had the privilege of seeing God work things together for good, without (even in spite of) my help.

 
Prayer

Lord, thank you, thank you, thank you that the whole history of the world, that the record of your love preserved in the Bible is one of direct, loving, and costly intervention into the mess of planet earth. On your loving intervention, Grace, and promise to redeem it all, I rely. In the name of your Son, the Redeemer I pray. Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment