Thursday, January 5, 2012

More to the Story
A Kingdom Torn in Two
Chapter 14; 1 Kings 12-16


Sometimes Things Need to Get Smaller in Order to Get Bigger
 
“The word of God came to Shemaiah . . . "Say to Rehoboam son of Solomon king of Judah, to the whole house of Judah and Benjamin, and to the rest of the people,
'This is what the LORD says: Do not go up to fight against your brothers, the Israelites. Go home, every one of you, for this is my doing.'"  1 Kings 12:22-24(NIV)

A History Lesson

Although the north (Israel) and the south (Judah) did end up in a 50 year war, God’s initial instruction to King Reheboam (Solomon’s son and successor) was not to invade the north. Why? Because in God’s “upper story”, in God’s orchestration of world events, it appears He was doing two things. 

First, God was keeping the promise that He made over and over beginning with Abraham and continuing through Isaac, Jacob, Judah, David, Solomon, and now Rehoboam, that through this particular line of Israel’s family tree God would rescue the world (it is through this line that Jesus was born). It is as if God was saying to Reheboam, “yes, even though you’re stubborn and won’t listen, I’ve got this. I’ll still do what I said I would do.” 

Second, perhaps God purges. If this is true, it is not because he loves those whom he purges less. Nor do those who remain after the purge have any ground of pride to stand on. Rehoboam and Judah were no better. God’s plan is to rescue the planet and everything and everyone on it, but he does it through relationship with and influence on those who are willing to trust and obey. And when he can’t find that person, He is faithful anyway.

Prayer 

Lord, I know my sin. It is ever before me. I have not earned any favor from you. Yet you give me grace after grace after grace. I deserve to be purged, to be among the “10 lost tribes of Israel”, the northern tribes lost to history forever. Yet, your hand has not left me. It is in that that I ‘boast’. Amen”

1 comment:

  1. If one looks about CLC today, it seems that personal tragedies are rampant. In this environment, it is hard to cling to a strong belief that God is "all and only good" and also "sovereignty in total control." Yet that is what we are called to. Bottom line, God knows what He is doing and we don't. As a human being, this is the test of our faith, to trust that "He will still do what He said He would do.”

    ReplyDelete