Tuesday, January 10, 2012

More to The Story
Chapter 15
1 Kings 17-19; 2 Kings 2, 4, 6; Hosea 4-5, 8-9, 14; Amos 1, 3-5, 9

Chariots of Fire

"Elijah said to Elisha, 'Tell me, what can I do for you before I am taken from you?'
'Let me inherit a double portion of your spirit,' Elisha replied.
'You have asked a difficult thing,' Elijah said, 'yet  . . . it will be yours.' "

As they were walking along and talking together, suddenly a chariot of fire and horses of fire appeared and separated the two of them, and Elijah went up to heaven in a whirlwind. 12 Elisha saw this and cried out, 'My father! My father! The chariots and horsemen of Israel!' And Elisha saw him no more”.    2 Kings 2:9-12

"Swing Lo, Sweet Chariot, comin' a-for to carry me home"

Elijah and Elisha are the two most well known prophets of those who did not leave written records. Elijah trained Elisha to succeed him as mouthpiece of the Lord to the leaders of Israel and now Elijah was about end his time one earth.
 
Elisha was trained well. He knew that he could not serve the Lord or his nation or his king well on his own power. He asked for a double portion of  the power of God  his mentor had had.
 
Suddenly, the Lord swept Elisha’s mentor away and he was left “only” with the Lord to empower him.

Prayer

Lord, the African American Spiritual was sung as a promise of escape from oppression. Lord, my request is that “your chariot” swing low enough to pick me up at exactly those times will we need you most this week. Lord, I need you. In Jesus’ name. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Dear Pastor Jeff,

    Thank you for your reflections, daily. I so look forward to reading them.

    I am trying to practice. Some days are harder than others.

    Thank you for your time and patience as I try to grow more in the Lord.

    God Bless You.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete