Wednesday, January 11, 2012

More to The Story
Chapter 15
1 Kings 17-19; 2 Kings 2, 4, 6; Hosea 4-5, 8-9, 14; Amos 1, 3-5, 9

The Floating Axhead
 
“Elisha was helping to build a school to train prophets. . . . .As one of them was cutting down a tree, the iron axhead fell into the water. 'Oh, my lord,' he cried out, 'it was borrowed!'   Elisha asked, 'Where did it fall?' When he showed him the place, Elisha cut a stick and threw it there, and made the iron float. 7 'Lift it out,' he said. Then the man reached out his hand and took it."2 Kings 6:1-7

If Anything Matters, Everything Matters
 
I typically have two thoughts when I come to stories like this one. First, I naturally think that iron doesn’t float, that the story must somehow have been embellished. Second, I think about the resurrection and realize that if I believe that happened, then I can think of no reason not to believe this event happened. Of course there are many other factors to take into consideration, but we must not allow ourselves to force fit the Bible into our preconceptions of what “must” be.  

Second, the borrowed ax matters. Somebody owned it and it’s right to return it. God cares about the little things.

Prayer  

"Father, as Creator of all that is, open my eyes to your power and grace at work in the smallest of life’s details: a found watch, a wallet returned with the cash untouched, a thought received at a time that can only have been strategically placed by You, and yes, even a piece of iron surfacing so that my neighbor can have his axe back. Thank You, Lord. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment