Tuesday, January 3, 2012

More to the Story
A Kingdom Torn in Two
Chapter 14, 1 Kings 12-16

How You Live Has Consequences  

“The elders advised Solomon’s son, Rehoboam, ‘If today you will be a servant to these people and serve them, they will always be your servants.'  But Rehoboam rejected the advice the elders gave him and consulted the young men who had grown up with him.They replied, 'Tell these people  . . ‘My father laid on you a heavy yoke; I will make it even heavier. My father scourged you with whips; I will scourge you with scorpions.'"      1 Kings 12:7-11

Reflection
 
Rehoboam’s father, King Solomon, ruled Israel until 970 BC. He had used his administrative genius, international connections and conscripted labor to build Israel into one of the wealthiest nations in the known world. He did it by his own hand, in the process compromising himself right out of God’s will.
 
Result? His son did the same. David had left his son Solomon the legacy of a heart for and dependence on God. Solomon left his son Rehoboam the legacy of “if it’s going to be it’s up to me.” He trusted the tough guy advice of his childhood buddies, not the wisdom of the elders who understood that serving begets serving.

Prayer
 
Lord, give me the humility to listen to those who have more life experience with You and with others. I don’t know it all. I need you and I need others. Lord please do whatever it takes to humble me before You and others and in doing so I will ask You, not others to lift me up. Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment