Friday, January 13, 2012

God's Messengers
Chapter 15
1 Kings 17-19; 2 Kings 2, 4, 6; Hosea 4-5, 8-9, 14; Amos 1, 3-5, 9

Ouch!  

"I hate, I despise your religious feasts;
I cannot stand your assemblies.
Even though you bring me burnt offerings and grain offerings,
I will not accept them.
Though you bring choice fellowship offerings,
I will have no regard for them.
Away with the noise of your songs!
I will not listen to the music of your harps.
But let justice roll on like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream!" Amos 5:21-24(NIV)

Do We Worship Well? 

This passage is one the most referenced in the Old Testament. It’s much quoted, but, I suspect, underheeded.
 
Worship is far more than what happens in church on Sunday morning. Amos tells Israel that God hates their worship, great music and generous offerings. Why? Because they engage in business and social practices which take advantage of the underprivileged. 

I am far from an “occupy Wall Street” fan, but, with the growing disparity between rich and poor in America, might they not be saying something we need to hear? Key Enron execs were elders in their churches.
 
Am I too self satisfied in my suburban comfort?
 
Worship has more to do with how I live my life than with how I receive, praise, or give in Sunday morning services. 


Prayer

"Lord, Amos convicts. He warned against selfishness. His warning went unheeded and Israel fell. Forgive my smug assumption that we who are among the wealthiest people on the planet are exempt from the same fate. Let Justice (fairness from Your perspective) roll down like a river. Amen”

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Pastor for your comments. As in Amos' time when people adhered to the "system", the answer is not political - government rarely gets it right. It is a change of heart that begins with us, followers of Christ. We need to take a moral inventory of ourselves, examining just how generously we live - in our daily walk do we freely share, tip generously, hold on to what we have lightly knowing it's not really "ours"? More than just how big a check to write to a ministry, generosity should be a lifestyle for believers. Thank you for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete