Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Kingdom Falls
Chapter 17

Behind Anger is Much Pain

“Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem,
look around and consider, search through her squares.
If you can find but one person who deals honestly and seeks the truth,
I will forgive this city.
But if you do not listen,
I will weep in secret because of your pride;
my eyes will weep bitterly, overflowing with tears,
because the LORD's flock will be taken captive”     Jeremiah 5:1; 13:17

Reflection  

I once a saw an absolutely furious woman screaming at the top of her lungs, threatening doom on her teenage son (and she was one to carry out her threats!). Her last words at the top of her lungs were “I love you”. It was a profound expression of true love. She couldn’t stand what he was doing to himself and his family.  

Can human or divine love go together with human or divine anger and even punishment? Can God’s love even exist without divine vengeance against those who do violence against others? 

In today’s passage we see the heart of God that is behind his judgments. Did you know that God “weeps secretly because of your rebellious pride?” Divine love and divine anger are two sides of the same coin. 

Prayer

“Lord, it hurts to see how my rebellion breaks your heart. Forgive me for being so selfish and self absorbed with my rights and my problems. You loved me first, before I ever knew you. Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment