Thursday, August 9, 2012

How to Vote in November Part 4
 
“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth ” 
I Timothy 2:1-6 ESV

Before Casting Your Ballot 

I have always found it hard to pray for our president because he’s so big and my prayers feel so small. But I can’t let that feeling win.  If God says pray, he must think it accomplishes something!

Apparently one thing it helps accomplish is to provide the wisdom needed to make decisions that bring and maintain peace in society so that people can live well. I could even say if I don’t pray for our leaders then it’s my fault if I don’t get good leadership! 

But there’s also  one more thing it accomplishes.  

Praying for our leaders enhances the chances for establishing and maintaining a society that is peaceful enough and honors the dignity of individuals enough so that the society is conducive to the broad disseminating of the knowledge of God and Jesus Christ and the Cross to all its members.  

Which candidate do you feel cherishes this mandate the most and will therefore work to ensure that this kind of society is actively fostered? Although I personally accept at face value the Christian profession of faith of both candidates, I also do not think it necessarily follows that the best protector of this kind of society needs to be a Christian.

Prayer

“Lord, you want all people to come to a knowledge of the truth of your love for all through Jesus Christ. Help me, Lord, to continue to pray for leaders to arise who will at the very least strongly protect the freedoms that Christians need in order to practice their faith. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment