Tuesday, August 21, 2012

CARE . . . Listen . . . Pray

"You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry"
James 1:19

Reflect

"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." Theodore Roosevelt

Listening is often described as a skill. It's hard for me to imagine any description of listening that is worse than that one. I don't want to converse with someone who has to learn the skill of listening. I want to converse with someone who actually listens, and that means listen to me, not just to words, or to verbal content, but actually caring about me and what I have to say.

Are you quick to listen . . . actually listen? Do you listen to others as a springboard to what you want to say, rather than truly "hearing" the other person, even beyond the words?

Suggestion: In your next conversation with another, be all about the other person. Be interested, ask questions which show your interest in that person without turning the conversation back to yourself.

Sometimes I wonder if listening isn't among the highest of all forms of caring.

No comments:

Post a Comment