Thursday, December 17, 2015

Preparing for Christmas

BLOG
Thursday, December 17, 2015


Preparing for Christmas
Blog by Megann Graf  

It’s a week before Christmas.  Tensions are high.  So many things to do, people to see, gifts to buy.  It can be easy to get caught up in all the wrong things, lose focus of the meaning of Christmas.  The thought that keeps going through my head this week is “Oh how we need a Savior.”  I hear of people struggling with sickness, disease, and illness.  I think, “Oh, how they need a Savior.”  I see families in true turmoil, with hurt and offense ripping at heartstrings. I pray, “Oh, how they need a Savior.”  I find myself snipping at my kids, letting stress overcome my joy, and missing the true meaning of this year.  And I know, “Oh, how I need a Savior.”   

So, here are the definitions of these words listed above in the picture.  Just so you can get a clear picture of what I think we need.     
    
Savior- one that saves from danger or destruction; one that saves from   
        danger, harm or failure

       
         Messiah- a king who will be sent by God to save the Jews; a person who is
                expected to save people from a very bad situation

              
                      Emmanuel- God with us  

Friends, if you are living on this earth, you surely are seeing people who need to be saved from danger and destruction.  You see people who are desperate to escape harm and failure. You feel the great need of those who need to get out from a very bad situation.  It is all around us.  It is the world we live in.  It is a need for those we love, for those we don’t know, and for ourselves.  This is why Jesus broke through from heaven, into earth, to be WITH US. God is with me and God is with you.  We have a Savior!  That is the good news.  His love broke through the darkness to shine light into all of our brokenness.  Not just the brokenness of the past, but the brokenness of the here and now. 

So, if you find yourself thinking of all things you and your loved ones need this Christmas - like that cool new toy your kid just has to have, a new iPhone, a new car, getting cookies baked, mailing Christmas cards, and a million other things, take a breath.  Take a really deep breath.  What we really need is a Savior, and the good news is that we have Him. He is free, if we accept Him, and HE IS HERE- Emmanuel, God with us.  Thank God I have a Savior, because I need Him more than I know, and you do too.

Comment 
      

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl   

No comments:

Post a Comment