Saturday, December 12, 2015

Bible Study Seven Day Challenge Day 6

BLOG
Jeff Lampl
Saturday, December 12, 2015


Bible Study Seven Day Challenge
One Week in the
10 Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount

Part 6 (of 7)
  

Some Straight Talk from Jesus and from me (Jeff)  

24“No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.  (Your heart always follows your money vs. 21) 
 
“That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing?  Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are?  Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?  
 
“And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing,  yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.  And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
    
“So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’  These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs.    

Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.  

“So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today."       Matthew 6:24-34 (NLT)


                                                          Straight Talk #1  

In vs 24 and 21 Jesus is straight with us.   He tells us he knows us.   He knows that where we put our money is where our hearts go.   Where we put our money tells us what we value.   If my relationship to God is like a marriage then we must merge our resources.   What’s mine is his.  
 
The Old Testament tells us to give 10% of our gross income to the Lord as a sign that we belong to the Lord.   The New Testament’s standard is not a tithe.  The New Testament tells us to give more than we can afford.   Either amount is monetary proof that God has my full loyalty and trust.   

Frankly if I don’t tithe, then I am withholding trust.   I am saying I need something more than God to be happy or to meet my needs.   

And if I am relying on something other than God, then I’ll always be anxious because I am feeling like providing for myself and family is all up to me.   Many believers can’t feel right with God because deep down they know they are holding back, holding onto their own resources.    But Jesus was blunt.   What you hold onto is where your heart is and it’s choking your relationship with Him.   

Personally I am convinced that, except for extraordinary circumstances, anyone who doesn’t tithe or give more than they can afford is holding back in their relationship with God.   All the excuses we give (I give my time, I give my talents, giving to my family is giving to God) seem to me to be ways to rationalize, ways to seek the minimum commitment necessary to be a Christian.    

A marriage can’t work that way.   Nor can my relationship with God.   Divided loyalties leave us . . . divided . . .and anxious, and worried and stressed and unable to trust that God will provide.  Were stuck in the world of “if it’s to be it’s up to me”.    Were stuck there, of course, because having only trusted ourselves for our needs we never get the experience of discovering the trustworthiness of God. 
 
This Christmas season, if you have not taken step one in giving God your heart, (Jesus said your heart goes where your money goes), by giving God the first 10% of your income, the first thing for you to do is to do it.   Just do it.   The clue is in the do.   “I love you Lord” means nothing unless actions follow.   Personally I am not convinced that there is any more important spiritual step to take with God than this one.   Jesus said your heart follows your money.  

Give your tithe to your home church, the first and the best of your income and then work everything else around that.   In that way you are working your life around God.   Doing this is acting on your vow to put God first in your life.    Kathy and I did this over 30 years ago and it is unimaginable to us to have lived without having done so.  

Once you’ve settled that issue, you’ve begun to enter into the world of practically trusting the Lord for your needs – yes just like a marriage.   Without this you’ll always be divided. 

 
                                                           Straight Talk #2  

Jesus also told us not to worry about our lives: food, clothes and shelter.   He said “don’t worry”.   “Don’t be anxious”.   

This is stunning.  

Cars have accidents, terrorists seek us out, incurable disease takes our lives, jobs are insecure.    Is Jesus crazy?  How can I not worry?   

Jesus did not tell us not to plan but he did tell us to resolutely refuse worry and that anxiety is groundless and pointless.   It does nothing for us.  

If I actually believe that nothing, absolutely nothing can harm me.   If I believe that I am completely safe in God’s good world.   If I can believe that the worst that can happen including death cannot take my life, my future, my past, my hope and my joy, then I am free.   

It is this kind of confidence in God that opens the door wide open to God’s abundant life, NOW, and then later in heaven.    

The Gospel and Jesus Himself, tell me that in Him, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.

As your pastor I can tell you that kind of confidence is a strange but beautiful thing.   People will think you crazy to have it.   You have available to you the confidence that says that whatever happens I have peace that God is making all things right and well and beautiful.  That kind of confidence is exactly what God wants to give us.  

Jesus actually finishes this section with a little bit of humor, “hey”, he says, “you don’t have time to worry about tomorrow anyway.  I absolve you of all fretting, worry, fear, anxiety, control-feakishness for tomorrow.  Live today.  Don’t miss today by freaking out about tomorrow!”  
(that’s actually a jpl paraphrase)


Comment 
      

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl   

No comments:

Post a Comment