Monday, December 28, 2015

Christmas is over and I ate too much!!

BLOG
Monday, December 28, 2015
Jeff Lampl
 

Christmas is over and
I ate too much!
               
"Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual act of worship. "
Romans 12:1
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?
You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body." 

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
"Physical training is good"
1 Timothy 4:8
Although the passage from Romans refers to serving and the Corinthians passage refers specifically to sexual immorality, and the Timothy passage is actually about practicing the spiritual disciplines,  it seems to me that the broader reality that scripture teaches us is that our bodies matter, that our bodies are not simply disposable matter as if the spirit and soul are something else.   The bible teaches us that we are a unit, that spirit, soul and our physical bodies are one.   This means that our bodies are spiritual things, not just disposable containers of the spiritual.

I have read about the “sitting disease”, that those of us who sit all day in our work are in much greater danger of ill health and premature death.   I know that for myself exercise is a magic bullet.   When I exercise, I simply feel better, have more energy, am of more value to others, am happier, am more alert to God, am more apt to pray, do my bible reading, and overall be better for other people.   

Yet exercise is a struggle.   I often simply don’t feel like doing it.   But that’s exactly when I need it the most.  Same with eating in an opposite way.   When I feel like bad food, that’s when I get it.    These facts of my life lead me to the other thing about our bodies.   We must master them or outside forces will.   Discipline in the matters of body care is a spiritual issue.   It’s the issue of arranging my life to be under the mastery of God or under the mastery of the principalties and powers of this earth whose purpose is to consume us by turning us into consumers of comfort rather than dispensers of the energies of God for the sake of others.   To be that kind of energy, love and grace dispenser that God wants us to be we must assume the responsibility of making sure our God given bodies are up to the task.

What’s your plan for the care of your body in 2016?

“Lord, because my body matters to you, I will take care of it and I will begin today and I will keep it up.   If I falter, I will just get up and begin again, with your help,  Amen”
Comment       
For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl   

No comments:

Post a Comment