Thursday, December 3, 2015

Bible Study

BLOG
Thursday, December 3, 2015



Chapter 13 Bible Study
By Megann Graf  

This Sunday, Pastor Jeff will be preaching on Chapter 13, which is Bible Study.  I don’t know  about you, but I always feel guilty when I hear messages on or discussions about Bible study.  It’s because I never seem to get very good at it.  I feel like I haven’t found my niche on how to do it well.  Many years ago, when my kids were younger, and in the midst of being completely overwhelmed and frustrated with people’s advice to me on parenting, I remember hearing someone say,  “Do what works.” 

I like that.  It makes sense to me.  Why would I keep trying to do something that didn’t work?  Also, this was something that I could grow with.  Perhaps something that worked one month, wasn’t going to work as they got older.  That’s ok.  I would have to find something else that worked, but there can always be another way. 

It hit me that Bible study is kind of the same.  If I am studying the Word of God, not only am I changing, but it is changing too.  The Word of God is alive.  Hebrews 4:12 says “God’s word is alive and powerful!  It is sharper than any double-edged sword.  His word can cut through our spirits and souls and through our joints and marrow, until it discovers the desires and thoughts of our hearts.  Nothing is hidden from God!  He sees through everything, and we will have to tell him the truth.”

So, maybe there isn’t one good way to read the Bible my whole life through.  Sometimes morning time will work for me.  Sometimes sitting in the pick up line at school will work for me.  Maybe you can listen to the word of God on your commute.  Maybe you read it right before bed.  Whatever you do, don’t give up on it, just because life changes and that way doesn’t work anymore. 

My goal is to know God more, because the more I know Him, the more I can handle all of life’s challenges with much more grace and strength than I could have on my own.  I’m always going to struggle with distractions.  So will you.  But, change your plan not your goal. 

And, on the lighter side, I found this little gem that says it well too---



Comment 
      

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl   

No comments:

Post a Comment