Thursday, April 10, 2014

Why the Sinners Prayer May Not Be Enough


Blog »    Why the Sinners Prayer May Not Be Enough  

Thursday, April 10, 2014


"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that
leads to destruction, and many enter through it . . . . . . Every tree that does not
bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 

Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
 

 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven,
but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.  Many will say to me
on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name
drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I
never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"
Matthew 7:13-23 (NIV)


The Sinner’s Prayer is not enough?  

It is if it changes us, if it is lived out.   It isn’t if it doesn’t.    The sinner’s prayer is when I thank God for what He did for me on the cross, choose to believe, and tell God that I have made him the leader of my life.    My personal fear (based on what I see and reading the results of tons of studies) is that there are multitudes of people who’ve prayed the prayer, self identify as Christian, yet have not entered the narrow gate. 

Yes, a true believer can be identified by the spiritual fruit in her life, but Jesus goes on to say that even fruit can be faked.   There will be many who lived what looks from the outside to be a great Christian Life but are in big trouble with God.   Conversely I am certain that there are many more whose lives look like a mess from the outside yet will find themselves in God’s Kingdom, indeed are within it now.    

CS Lewis puts it this way in Mere Christianity  

“When a man is getting better he understands more and more clearly the evil that is still left in him. When a man is getting worse he understands his own badness less and less. A moderately bad man knows he is not very good: a thoroughly bad man thinks he is all right. This is common sense, really. You understand sleep when you are awake, not while you are sleeping. You can see mistakes in arithmetic when your mind is working properly: while you are making them you cannot see them. You can understand the nature of drunkenness when you are sober, not when you are drunk. Good people know about both good and evil: bad people do not know about either.” — from Mere Christianity

 
The man who is good by nature, good by upbringing and generous by disposition may be farther from God than the man who is bad and selfish by upbringing, but has begun the journey beyond himself to God and others even though he by convention standards looks like a bad person.   What’s inside him may not be visible to others, just as pride within the cultured man might not visible to others.   It is the second man who will walk through the narrow gate.  

“Lord, give me the Grace to take these words of Jesus neither as a means for me to judge others, nor as a tool of self condemnation for my shortfall before you.  Rather help me to realize your never ending patience and love for me for others in spite of our sin.  In that and in you, Lord,  I know that I am safe forever.  Amen”

 

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment