Monday, April 7, 2014

Noah

  Blog »    Noah  

Monday, April 7, 2014


“The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain.  So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth--men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air--for I am grieved that I have made them."    But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD”    Genesis 6:5-10 (NIV)  

Some of my family and I went to see the movie “Noah”.   I thought it was tremendous.  Why?  How can I think this when so much of the movie is full of artistic license?   Because it seems to me that Aaron Aronofsky, the Jewish atheist director,  “preached the Gospel” to America more successfully than most preachers and teachers of the Bible I know, including me!  

Noah “gets it”.  Human beings have a corrupted heart.   We’re good at seeing what’s wrong with others, but really bad at seeing what’s wrong with ourselves.  In the movie Noah is an exception.  In fact throughout the movie Noah is convinced that God will destroy him and his family as soon as they’ve saved the animals because humans are so sinful that they are irredeemable.    

This is why every Christian should visit the Holocaust Museum and leave seeing him or herself as no better than the Nazis who did what they did.  In fact human beings are worse  than the animals.  Animals don’t seek revenge.  Animals don’t plot pogroms and carry out genocide, nor do they torture.  There is an unbridgeable gap between us and God which means we’re in deep, deep trouble with God.  

Where else in 21st century America will anyone have this message proclaimed?  Once I “get” this message, then I can begin to comprehend Grace and that Grace is the Gospel, the Good News.    

Noah’s daughter in law, Ila, did get one thing wrong though. She told Noah that perhaps God preserved him because God knew that he had a merciful heart. Perhaps, she speculates, that’s exactly the sort of person God could count on to renew the world non-violently, peaceably, and responsibly after the flood.   She’s wrong that God preserved Noah and family because his heart was better than others, but she was right that every human being, created in the Image of God,  has something of the Goodness of God within, if it can only be awakened and redeemed by God Himself.

I loved the end.   The Rainbow tells us that God will stick with us humans, sinful and evil as we are, even though God knew history would repeat itself, even though there’s nothing we could ever do to deserve this grace.  This is incredible.  
 

“Lord, I know my heart.  I have therefore no difficulty believing that on its own the human heart is “evil all the time”.   Yet I also know that for some reason you have given favor to humanity, at least for the time being.   Please Lord,  humble me to never forget the incredible Grace under which we live.   Help me Lord to hunger for others to come to know this Grace and to make it the “food” which fuels their lives.  Amen”

 

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment