Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Is This Really True?

Blog »    Is This Really True?  

Wednesday, April 2, 2014



"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money”    
                                                                 Matthew 6:24

Is it true that I can’t have two masters?    Is it really true that I can’t serve both God and money?  

I find this statement of Jesus to be very dramatic and very challenging.   Why?   Because I think I act like it’s not true.   My life decision is that I have chosen Jesus to be the Leader of my life.  However, I think that if I’m really honest, money calls a whole lot of the shots.    I don’t really like this.   Although I do think that there is a difference between money as my master and simply dealing with the reality of income limitations, nevertheless there is way too much discretionary spending that goes toward my wants (keeping) instead of toward giving to others.    

This passage is a set up for the rest of Matthew 6.   All of life comes down to the simple question, do I trust God or do I not trust God.    Do I have confidence that God will provide all I need or not?   Do I trust that all that God provides is enough?   Or am I convinced that I need something more . . . more gadgets, more house, more car, more thrills?  Do I actually believe that I can be happy and even thrive  with whatever God provides, no matter how little or how much?   Do I actually live out this belief?   Do I do so in such a way that in practice my giving outstrips my keeping, that in practice my generosity of heart predominates over my fear of missing out on what everyone else has?  

“Lord, teach me the best meaning of the word “enough”.   Give me experiences this week of great joy in the life that you have given me now.  Lord give me a vision of living the joy you offer without any other material things added.   Lord lead me to give with fear, with generosity, with a “want to” attached to it.   Lord I want so much for my faith go beyond lip service.”

 

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

2 comments:

  1. Not sure I get what's meant by "give with fear" and why I would ask for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case anyone comes across this Pastor's Blog, I did get a response to my comment. It was simply a typographical error. He really meant "without fear"

    ReplyDelete