Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Don't Judge

Blog »    Don't  Judge 

Tuesday, April 8, 2014


"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will
be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
  

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention
the plank  in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the
speck out of your eye,'when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your  own eye, and then you will see
clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye”
 
 
Matthew 7:1-5 (NIV)

It looks like Jesus is using the humor of a ridiculous image to make a huge point.   

When I really think about what’s wrong with me and how God deals with that,  it’s really quite incredible isn’t it, that I have the gall to be critical of, condescending toward, unforgiving of, condemning toward anyone else?    God sees what’s wrong with me takes its consequences (to me and those I’ve hurt) fully into and onto Himself and simply let’s me off the hook.   He forgives me.   He even goes so far as to say,  “Lord, Jeff doesn’t know what he’s doing” (Luke 23:34).  He does this while hanging on a cross!!!!!!  

Given this,  it is just beyond incredible that I can find it within myself to complain about another's driving when mine is just as bad or worse, to criticize another for being so critical when that’s exactly what I’m doing,  to be judgmental about another’s extravagant lifestyle when I am equally extravagant in my own way.   How can I call another a hypocrite when I’m no different?  

Wait, you say.   Shouldn’t we call out sin and hypocrisy?  That’s a dilemma isn’t it?   The answer must be yes, and we should all feel anger toward injustice, but our starting point for naming sin must always be ourselves.    It is in the humility that results from full disclosure self examination before a Holy God that allows us to “see clearly to remove the speck from our brother’s eye”.    Why name the speck from the eye of another and remove it?  Not first and foremost for my sake but for his and for the sake of those whom that speck harms.   

“Lord, do whatever you need to do in me to kill that critical, ungrateful, condemning-of-others nature that keeps trying to rear its ugly head.  Help me not just to be non critical of others, help me instead to love them, to delight in them, to be the encourager that others need me to be for them.    Amen”  


Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment