Monday, October 14, 2013

The Hole in Our Gospel

   
  Blog »  

Monday, October 14, 2013
Jeff Lampl


“The followers were amazed at what Jesus said. But he said again, “My children, it is very hard to enter the kingdom of God!    It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.“    The followers were even more surprised and said to each other, “Then who can be saved?“
 Jesus looked at them and said, “This is something people cannot do, but God can. God can do all things.“
Mark 10:24-27 (NCV)
 

Note:   I found the following comment on one of last week’s blogs to be extremely thoughtful, “real”, and challenging.  I’m posting it so that you, too, can benefit from this person’s desire and struggle to “get following Jesus right”.  Pastor Jeff  

Frustration: the feeling of being upset or annoyed, esp. because of inability to change or achieve something

The US is the epitome of MK (Magic Kingdom)  (obviously). We all grew up in it. On July 4th we blow up millions of dollars worth of gunpowder to celebrate credit cards and the 30-year mortgage. I will not feel bad about the fact that I was born here. That is not my fault. Now my eyes are open to the fact that things are not equivalent in this world and most folks, especially in different countries, have it way harder than I. The trouble is that I was taught that the 30-year mortgage is what I am supposed to do. I was taught that I am supposed to go to college and so it was a good investment to have tens of thousands in student loan debt. I am taught that I should pay back loans that are less than 4% as slow as possible because my money can be invested elsewhere at a better rate of return. I am also taught that it is stupid to take money out of my retirement to pay debt.

Well I am frustrated because everyone of these values has taught me to hold onto my supposed wealth as tightly as possible, and now I am being shown that there is something more important than wealth. When Jesus said “I thirst” I believe he thirsted for souls to be saved. (Souls, not money.) How can I be “in Christ” in that endeavor from where I am. I am where I am, and I have a 30-year mortgage that appears to anchor me here. This much is true. Neither Stearns nor anybody in my church has the best answer for my specific situation. But today I can hit a proverbial reset button and ask Jesus himself, through the Holy Spirit, to teach me what is most important to Him. I can ask Him what I can do from here. He can use me from this place to achieve His goals either here or abroad. He can even change my situation if He would like to pick up the anchor. Today I re-commit, as I have re-committed before, to His priorities. But as before, it is with a different perspective, and one where I can hopefully OPEN my hand in a way that pleases Him - so that He can fill it and empty it as He desires.  

“Lord let me be your vessel, carrying your love in whatever form you supply, so that the world can see and believe that we are in Christ and that God loves us all”


Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment