Wednesday, October 16, 2013

How Can We Fill the Hole in Our Gospel?

   Blog » How Can We Fill the Hole in Our Gospel?  

Wednesday, October 16, 2013
Jeff Lampl


          Hole   “a hollowed place in something solid"  

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "
Matthew 25:37-40  

When Jim Wallis, founder and president of Sojourners (a Christian advocacy group for the poor) was in seminary he and a friend cut out of one of their Bibles all the verses pertaining to social justice and poverty.   They ended up cutting out over 2,000 scriptures!   And they ended up having a Bible with holes all through it, a Bible which “barely held together” (metaphor intended).  

In  Matthew 25 and elsewhere Jesus was very, very clear that the world is an unjust place and that he expects every believer to act in some personal way to make it just.    This leads to the inescapable conclusion that I must do something.   Jesus holds me personally accountable for what I do or do not do for the world’s poor.   So, what can I do?   Following are a few things that come to mind.  

·         I can do something!  I take it as “Gospel truth” that Jesus holds me
     accountable for this.
·         I can keep the following question constantly before me:   “How does my
     lifestyle reflect to others a heart  for other people?”
·         I can give of my time, talent, and treasure.   When I think of these three
     personal resources, it is just too easy and self-justifying to think that one or
     two of the three is enough.  All three are necessary in some way, shape or
    
form
·    I can choose to live below the median standard of living of my surrounding
     community and in the process grow a gap between what I earn and what I
     spend so that the gap can be invested in the underresourced.

 

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

1 comment:

  1. Ronn Fletcher16 October, 2013

    I see a powerful ministry not being addressed nor advocated. We should identify opportunities to modify the paradigm. Why are our poor, hungary brethren continuing with less resources? Rather than lower one's MK lifestyle to decrease the gap, choose to apply your talents, voice & resources for a far greater impact on the less fortunate by acivitely improving the environment, research how to elevate the poor & give them hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete