Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Hole in Our Gospel


   Blog » The Hole in Our Gospel

Tuesday, October 15, 2013    LK Jordan



In this book on page 201, Stearns talks about the seeming dichotomy between "justification by works" proponents (who downplay the importance of evangelism and promote the work of caring for the disadvantaged) and the "justification by faith only" proponents (who look at the sorry state of the world and determine to save as many souls as possible before Christ returns and He then sets the social-political sphere aright.)  

Stearns concludes, "This dividing of the Gospel left both sides with only half a Gospel, that is a Gospel with a hole in it."  Let's try to fill in that hole . . .    

The good news Gospel about Jesus Christ (what He did) is that God has come to the aid of us individual sinners who cannot help ourselves and has given us the "right" to count on God's grace-based, redemptive love, to be His adopted children, "free of charge".  

The good news Gospel of Jesus Christ (what He taught, what Scripture mentions 125-135 times) is that God's Kingdom has come to earth and "in it", people who are: (1) poor and helpless; (2) victims of unjust social systems; and, (3) denied the opportunity for health and welfare, among other disadvantaged people, have rights. That is, God's grace-based, redemptive love gives disadvantaged people all the "rights" that belong in a just and humane society, "free of charge".   

Both of these, the Gospel about Jesus and the Gospel of Jesus are Biblical. Read John 1:12 and 3:16 , and compare those verses with Isaiah 1:17, Micah 6:8; Luke 14:13 and James 1:27. Their combination produces a Gospel without a hole in it and the successful Christian lives comfortably with the tension between these.  

But the test of whether we really believe and live by the good news about Jesus Christ, that God gracefully helps us who cannot help ourselves, is whether we gracefully enact the good news of Jesus Christ with disadvantaged people in the social-political sphere. If we do not see our faith acted out in the latter, then we ought to ask whether we really believe and live by it in the former.   

I find this prayer adapted from "Rooftops" and in response to "the voice of the Lord, asking, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" (Isaiah 6:8) very helpful in trying to live out the good news Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Dear Heavenly Father . . . here I am before You, falling in love and seeking Your truth, knowing that Your perfect grace has brought me to this place. Because of You I freely live, my life to You, oh God, I give!

All the good You've done for me, I lift up my hands for all to see. You're the only one to bring me to my knees, seeking to share Your love across the earth, the beauty of Your holy worth.

So I kneel before You, Heavenly Father, and place all that I am into Your loving hands for I am Yours. I am fully Yours; dear Lord, have Your way with me.           Amen.
                 

Comment    
 
For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl          

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Knowing that that Rooftops song is a response to Isaiah 6:8 makes it even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Questioning My Salvation...

    How much do I give? To whom do I give? What do I give?

    Money, food, clothing, shelter, spiritual food, prayer for physical, mental, and emotional healing, walking with a brother or sister or unbeliever through brokenness. Everything on the list is included. I do not think one is any greater than another.

    What is my motivation? Guilt? A feeling that I have to do more good than bad to earn salvation? Compassion for those in need? A genuine desire to please the Lord to show gratitude because He saved me from eternal damnation in hell?

    How do I know that I am saved? By faith alone, the grace of God.

    What is the evidence of my faith? The works listed above.

    Why do I desire to do these works? So that the world will see how good God is.

    By faith I am justified with God. He credits it to my account as righteousness, but by works it is shown to men and I pray that I would do the works prepared beforehand for me to do so that others will see and also call Jesus Lord.

    ReplyDelete