Tuesday, August 9, 2011







"If you don't forgive . . ."
                                      
"If you forgive others for the wrongs they do to you, your Father in heaven will forgive you. But if you don't forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins."  Matthew 6:14-15(CEV)

Do these words frighten you? They do me. What if Jesus means exactly what he says. I prefer to believe that Jesus is using hyperbole, as He often does, to say, "if you harbor unforgiveness then your heart will be unable to receive Jesus' unwithheld forgiveness." Or is that simply another way of saying the same thing?

Today's Prayer
 
“Lord, in some very significant way my salvation depends on my forgiving others, including my enemies. Please, Lord, give me the grace and courage I need to act on what you command. Help me with words, attitude and behavior to withhold condemnation, even of my enemies. Amen"

1 comment:

  1. This post stopped me in my tracks. Struggling with forgiveness and being angry--This past year has been opposite of my hopes for a restful, peaceful time off. Do what I wanted. BUT instead, turmoil, sleepless nights, sadness, stress, and losing faith. Then this post --- "as we have forgiven" in my mind, in my heart! This post kept reciting itself in my head- I couldn't concentrate on anything. Finally, I spoke with my husband about how he is able to forgive and move forward. What a revelation-- my husband shared with me his beliefs and his way of forgiving. For quite sometime he realized my battle, but he knew I had to find the way of forgiving myself. This post started me thinking -- the devil had charge of me. Sneaking in wherever he could. Stealing away my faith, my ability to forgive, my ability to walk away from anger. I am praying for strength to forgive those in my past, those who have hurt me- my brother- my husband. I don't quote scripture- well maybe some - but "as we have forgiven" is the thought on my heart, soul, mind. "Forgiven"- is what the Word is about. "Forgiven" sets you free. "as we have Forgiven" - angers the Devil, keeps him at bay-
    "as we have Forgiven"- makes my heart happy, peaceful and free.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete