Saturday, October 24, 2009

October 24, 2009

“as a father treats his own children. We pleaded . . . ., encouraged . .. and urged you to live your lives in a way that God would consider worthy”

Paul felt responsible for the spiritual lives of the Thessalonians. Do you feel responsible for the spiritual lives of those in your unique sphere of influence?

There’s an awesome question right at the beginning of the Biblical narrative (the Bible is one continuous story and together describes a worldview that is intended to inform every Christian). It is this, “Am I my brother’s keeper?”

Well am I? Are you? Cain was certainly complaining to God, that he can’t be responsible for his brother. We live in a world which, despite the claim of unprecedented global connectedness, is more disconnected than ever. The more that technology connects us in some ways, the more it disconnects in the ways of the heart.

I think God put Cain’s question in the Bible so that you and I have to ask this question too. People need people. That means someone needs me. God set it up that way which means I’M RESPONSIBLE FOR OTHERS! I Think that’s the biblical message.

Am I praying for those in my sphere of influence and beyond? Am I asking how they are doing spiritually? Do I want them to know and respond to the Gospel. Do I feel responsible for their eternal destiny?

These are good questions aren’t they?

No comments:

Post a Comment