Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Church; Why Bother?

BLOG
Saturday, October 17, 2015
Jeff Lampl


A growing question among Americans is, “why go to church?”    

Do you ever feel that way?   It is so easy to think things like, “I’m a believer but going to church doesn’t do it for me,”  “I don’t get much out of it”, “I can be good and pray and help others out of my relationship with Christ, but I don’t need church for that”.   “It’s the same old thing every week, songs, announcements, a lecture that’s about the same every week, and then I go home relatively uninspired.   Frankly it’s boring.  Why bother?”
or . . . .
“What is a church anyway?  A building or is it people?  And if the answer is people, why don’t I feel a connection with them that goes any deeper than ‘hi’ or ‘I’m fine’, which most of the time I’m not.”  

“And the guilt.   If I do go to church I leave feeling guilty, and if I don’t go to church I feel guilt for not being there.  How is that helpful?    Does God want me to live in guilt?   And don’t get me started on the money.   I’m strapped as it is.    I’m not sure I want to give money to pay for all those salaries and a big facility.   How’s any of that helping the world, much less me?”  

Tune in tomorrow for more on “Church, Why Bother” at CLC at 9:00 and 10:30, childcare provided (now there’s a reason to go to church!)  

“Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won’t be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth.  Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.  He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love.”      Ephesians 4:14-16 (NLT)    

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment