Saturday, October 10, 2015

Kohl's Fitting Room

BLOG
Saturday, October 10, 2015
Jeff Lampl

Kohl's Fitting Room


“So we have stopped evaluating others from a human point of view. At one time we thought of Christ merely from a human point of view. How differently we know him now!  This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!”    2 Corinthians 5:16-17 (NLT)  

So, there it is.  Kathy and I do most (all?) of our shopping at Kohl’s. 

The above picture is of a Kohl’s fitting room just like the one I used two weeks ago to purchase a new pair of slacks.  I tried on tons of various slacks, mostly because almost none ever fit me.    I guess I need to like the way I look (or is that some other store’s tagline?)  

Someone recently compared the American culture we “swim in” to a fitting room, where we try on all the stuff the store is selling to see if it fits, to see if helps me “fit in”, to see if it will project the identity that I want to have.   Or am trying on what will provide me with identity that American Culture is telling me that I need to have?    

So when I try on the stuff that looks so good on others in ads, why don’t those things look that good on me?   What’s my problem?   I guess I just don’t measure up.   I can try to measure up, but it’s a losing battle!   So, if I try to measure up and don’t, I can go two routes.   I can quit trying and simply accept that I’ll never measure up to what Kohl’s and Macy’s (actually I’m more of a JC Penny guy) tells me is the minimum acceptable stand for decency in appearance, or I can keep trying with the guaranteed result that I will still fail to measure (spelled l-o-s-e-r) only I’ll spend a lot more money getting there.  

Facebook, ads, TV, movies, twitter, Instagram, check out tabloids, People Magazine and Cosmopolitan, Sports Illustrated in February, all of these and a gazillion more “American Values” vie for your attention and their place in you “fitting room”, the place where you allow your identity to be shaped?  How well do you think you measure up?   And what if you do think you measure up to what others tell you ought to measure up to?   Who are you then?  And how long will that last?  

Is there any other option?  

Find out tomorrow at 9:00 or 10:30 when Pastor Gary teaches us how to allow God to shape our identity in a world that does everything it can to mess with who we really are.


Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl

No comments:

Post a Comment