Thursday, October 29, 2015

Compassion


BLOG
Thursday, October 29, 2015


Compassion

Blog by Megann Graf


Doesn’t this picture sum up compassion perfectly?  Which one are you – the lion or the zebra??  If you’re like me, compassion does not come easily, just ask my husband how nice I am to him when he’s sick.  I’m not an overly affectionate person, and I just really struggle with loving others well.  Most times, I feel like the lion in this picture, I have to let go of my power struggle and my strength, and be gentle.  But, honestly, there are many times that I feel like the zebra, and I need to approach someone who IS the lion and give them a big ‘ole hug and tell them I love them.  That’s just as hard.  It doesn’t really matter if you’re the lion or the zebra in this picture, either way, it’s tough to do.   

Chapter 8 of the Believe book starts by saying “All human beings are valuable to God, and he calls us to see people as he sees them.  Compassion goes a step further by compelling us to feel their pain.  Compassion literally means “suffer with.”  God calls us to come alongside people who are suffering.  It doesn’t mean we can fix their problems, but it does mean we can enter into their pain.  Before we act or practice this belief, we must believe it is God’s call on the life of ALL CHRIST FOLLOWERS.  When we believe this in our hearts, we will show compassion to all people, especially to those in need.”  

So, if you’re usually the zebra, go find your lion, and if you’re usually the lion, go find your zebra.  Don’t find them to fix them, find them to love them.  Don’t go with a solution, go with compassion.  Love them, suffer with them, enter into their pain.  Allow God to teach you, at the same time He is providing for them.  This is where our journey of compassion will start.  

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment