Thursday, October 1, 2015

Believe Chapter 4: The Bible

BLOG
     Thursday, October 1, 2015


CHAPTER 4: The Bible
Blog by Megann Graf  

2 Timothy 3:16-17 “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”  

The Bible is the Word of God.  He breathed it into existence.  Everything in it is from Him.  I know that as a Christian I am supposed to read it every day.  So why do I have such a hard time understanding it?  Why do I have such a hard time wanting to read it?  Why do I get so irritated when people pick and choose a verse for their “side” of a debate?  And, how can we say that scriptures support opposite sides of the same topic?  Anybody with me on this??  

Well, I have good news and bad news.  The good news is there are answers to most of these questions! The bad news is that all of those answers are found in the Bible.  Before you get mad at me, I don’t really think that is bad . . . .but I do think it is hard.  If we believe what scripture says, then we have to understand that the Bible is a living book.  And, if there’s one thing I know about life, it’s that it never stays the same . . . it is always changing.  Life is never going to remain the same, so how cool is it to know that, while the Bible doesn’t change, it does have the ability to mean something new to me each time I read it.   

Hebrews 4:12 “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword,  and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” NASB  

If the word of God is able to judge the thoughts and intentions of my heart, then even if my mind is reading it and thinking, “what does this mean,” the Word is able to judge my intentions.  If we set an intention to get into the Word of God and it is our hearts desire to grow and learn from it, then we have to trust that God will provide that knowledge in His time.  And, we also have to invite the Spirit of God into that time so that we can rely on the Holy Spirit to guide us in our understanding.   

2 Peter 1:20-21 “Above all, you must understand that no prophesy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things.  For prophesy never had its origin in the human will,  but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.”   

Matthew Henry wrote, in his concise commentary on this verse: “How firm and sure should our faith be, who have such a firm and sure word to rest upon! When the light of the Scripture is darted into the blind mind and dark understanding, by the Holy Spirit of God, it is like the day-break that advances, and diffuses itself through the whole soul, till it makes perfect day. As the Scripture is the revelation of the mind and will of God, every man ought to search it, to understand the sense and meaning.”  

Prayer: God, I pray that Your Holy Spirit would guide me and reveal to me Your truth as I read Your word.  Discern the intentions of my heart and I pray that they would be sincere and humble before you.  Help me to understand what I struggle with, help me to see with new eyes things that should take on new meaning for me, and, above all, help me to believe that Your word will lead me to a greater and deeper understanding of who You are.  Amen.  

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl

No comments:

Post a Comment