Monday, August 17, 2015

Believe

BLOG
Believe
Monday, August 17, 2015
Jeff Lampl



“Lord, I believe,” John 9:38  

On Sunday, September 13 at 9:00 and 10:30 we begin BELIEVE, a Churchwide Spiritual Growth Experience  

For more years than I wish to recount I have been all too aware of the difference between what I believe in my mind (head knowledge) and what my behaviors and attitudes reveal about what I actually believe.  For it is what I actually do that reveals what I actually believe.  

Life has given me unequivocal evidence that head knowledge is not enough.  More often than I wish to admit, what I believe intellectually is trumped by emotions which drive me to behaviors which are the diametric opposite of what I say I believe.   

This means that what we believe must make the longest journey that exists, the journey from the head to the heart, from the mind to the emotions, from my brain to my chest, the “seat” of my will, passions, and drive.  It is there, through disciplined training, that what I believe intellectually is lived experientially.   

It is from there that I actually live out what I believe.  

“Without the aid of trained emotions the intellect is powerless against the animal organism.  

The head rules the belly through the chest—the seat . . . . of emotions organized by trained habit . . . these are the indispensable liaison officers between cerebral man and visceral man. It may even be said that it is by this middle element that man is man:  

(But) we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise.”    C.S. Lewis,  The Abolition of Man  

This quote hits home with me.   The Christian life cannot be lived from the head.   It must be lived through “the chest”.   It is this “organ”, what I call my “Believer”, the thing in me that drives my actions.   What I need is a trained “believer”, a “believer” in “my chest” that is trained to believe what my head accepts as true and then drives believing actions, attitudes and behaviors.  

Beginning September 13 we will begin the journey of discovering not only what a Christian believes, but we will be enter into training which will give us the “chests”, the “heart” to actually live what we believe.     

In order for this 30 week spiritual experience to work for you, you will want to purchase two books for yourself and also resources for your family so that you can enter this experience together.  These resources are listed below and are available on Sundays in the Lobby or during the week through the Church office.
 

 

 

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment