Friday, July 10, 2015

There are a Lot of Thirsty Souls Out There

Blog »  
There are a Lot of Thirsty Souls Out There
July 10, 2015
Jeff Lampl



At the end of the Big Story, the epic drama that is the Bible, we find this succinct summary of what the whole adventure has been about.

The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.    
                                                  
Revelation 22:17 (NIV)
     
It is increasingly common to find people who say they are “spiritual” but not religious. Many have a thirst in their soul for the transcendent but have been injured or put off by the church. Because they have a distorted view of the God of the Bible, they look for a god they can live with. Yet they don’t find what they seek.
In C.S. Lewis book The Silver Chair, we find Jill all alone in an enchanted forest and very thirsty. She encounters the Great Lion, Aslan (the Christ figure in the Narnia series) who is resting between her and a refreshing stream.
“Are you not thirsty?” said the Lion.
“I’m dying of thirst,” said Jill.
“Then drink,” said the Lion.
“May I—could I—would you mind going away while I do?” said Jill.
The Lion answered this only by a look and a very low growl. And as Jill gazed at its motionless bulk, she realized that she might as well have asked the whole mountain to move aside for her convenience. The delicious rippling
noise of the stream was driving her nearly frantic.
“Will you promise not to—do anything to me, if I do come?” said Jill.
“I make no promise,” said the Lion.
“Do you eat girls?” she said.
“I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms,” said the Lion. It didn’t say this as if it were boasting, nor as if it were sorry, nor as if it were angry. It just said it.
“I daren’t come and drink,” said Jill.
“Then you will die of thirst,” said the Lion.
“Oh dear!” said Jill, coming another step nearer. “I suppose I must go and look for another stream then.”
“There is no other stream,” said the Lion.    
Can you imagine a better picture of Sovereignty and Grace of God . . . . or of the frightening yet thirst quenching life altering choice that each of us have before us?      
As we continue to learn about the religions of the world, as we embark on two weeks of Vacation Bible School,  I encourage you to keep Jill’s conversation with Aslan ever before you.   Have you come to the point in your life where you have discovered the same God that Jill encountered?   How have your responded to Him?
PS.   If you have young children or teens who are willing to listen I so strongly encourage you to read through the Chronicles of Narnia together.  In story and allegory form you will find the entirety of the Gospel there forming for you an everlasting mental structure which will help you see the world with Christian eyes.   Reading these stories has done that for me. . . . which leads me to one more comment.   The Narnia series is, yes, meant for children, but they are really for adults, for Lewis himself said
“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”
Why not read them simply for yourself, great training in “seeing” the Gospel, sometimes as if for the first time!
      
Comment            

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10 July, 2015

    I read the Bible to my children every morning and then in the evening we read the Chronicles of Narnia, the Hobbit, etc. My oldest child is nearing 50 and still loves those books, as do her siblings. Two years ago I gave one of my twenty something granddaughters the Chronicles of Narnia set for Christmas. She asked why I was giving her children's books. Before I could answer, her mother told her they were the most wonderful, magical books for any age. then asked why I hadn't given her a set. I remember we all cried when Aslan was humiliated and sacrificed The picture of him laying aside his majesty to pay the price for Edmund's rebellion was such a powerful picture to my children. Jesus is often pictured as some ethereal wisp floating sweetly through Israel. Hearing Aslan choosing to lay aside his might and power, but never not being the lion let us see Jesus differently. Reading the Bible and then such beautiful allegories reinforced scripture to my children and to me, the adult. Reading those books to my children was a gift that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete