Monday, March 2, 2015

Lent - Day 13


  Blog »  
Lent - Day 13
Monday, March 2, 2015
Jeff Lampl


       "He continued to pray just as he had always done."   Daniel 6:10



Begin
Silence, Stillness, and Centering before God (2 minutes)  


Scripture Reading: Psalm 73:12–17, 25 (NIV1984)


This is what the wicked are like—
always carefree, they increase in wealth.
  Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure;
 
in vain have I washed my hands in innocence.
 
All day long I have been plagued;
  I have been punished every morning.
 
If I had said, “I will speak thus,”
  I would have betrayed your children.
 
When I tried to understand all this,
 
it was oppressive to me
 
till I entered the sanctuary of God;
 
then I understood their final destiny.
 
Whom have I in heaven but you?
  And earth has nothing I desire besides you.

 
Devotional

  Christianity is not a set of intellectual beliefs, but a love relationship with God. We  need
  to do what the 
psalmist did in Psalm 73––go into the sanctuary of God and be alone with
  him. This especially applies when we are in the midst of suffering and darkness.

  The sayings of the Desert Fathers come from men and women who fled to the desert as
  
a sanctuary to seek God with their whole heart. Eventually, they formed communities
  around a “Rule of Life.” The following are a few of the teachings they left behind. Read
  them slowly and prayerfully. (A “cell” was an ancient term for a  quiet, private place to
  
be with God.)

Abba Anthony said, “just as fish die if they stay too long out of water, so the monks who loiter outside their cells or pass their time with men of the world lose the intensity of inner peace. So like a fish going towards the sea, we must hurry to reach our cell, for fear that if we delay outside we will lose our interior watchfulness.”78

Abbot Pastor said: “Any trial whatever that comes to you can be conquered by silence.”

A certain brother went to Abbot Moses in Scete, and asked him for a good word. And the elder said to him: “Go, sit in your cell, and your cell will teach you everything.” 79


Questions to Consider

  How and why do you think finding time alone with God in silence might "teach you
  everything?"

         

Prayer

  Lord, you know how easily and quickly I lose my interior sense of you. Grant me grace
  for the rest of today to silence the exterior noises around me so that I would hear
the
  warmth of your voice. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, amen.
           

 Conclude with Silence (2 minutes)



Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment