Monday, March 30, 2015

Lent Day 41 Holy Monday


  Blog » 

HOLY MONDAY

Monday, March 30, 2015
  Jeff Lampl
 



Begin 

Silence, Stillness, and Centering before God (2 minutes)  


Scripture Reading   The Parable of Two Sons

“What do you think? A man had two sons. Now he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go and work in the vineyard today.’
“‘No, I don’t want to,’ he replied. But later he changed his mind and went.
“The father said the same thing to the other son, who replied, ‘Yes, sir.’ But he didn’t go.
“Which one of these two did his father’s will?”
 They said, “The first one.”
 Jesus said to them, “I assure you that tax collectors and prostitutes are entering God’s
 kingdom ahead of you. For John came to you on the righteous road, and you didn’t believe
 him. But tax collectors and prostitutes believed him. Yet even after you saw this, you didn’t
 change your hearts and lives and you didn’t believe him."             Matthew 21:28-32

 

Questions to Consider
What a shocking story! Belief always results in doing (however imperfectly) what it believes.  If you want to know what I actually believe, then simply watch what I do.  What does Jesus' story tell you about what you believe?  Are there places in your life where belief and action don't match?  Why?  On the other hand do you find it encouraging that those on the margins of society "get in" based simply on taking Jesus at his word? 



Prayer

"Lord, too often I'm like the second son.  You offer me the grace and gift of work and purpose and serving You and others in Your good world, yet so often I just don't feel like it.  Lord, help me not to be simply like the first son, rather help me be the kind of Jesus follower who says yes and then (however imperfectly) just does it not to earn Your favor, rather because I have simply decided to trust You more than I trust myself. Amen"


Conclude with Silence   (2 minutes)

 
Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment