Monday, March 9, 2015

Lent - Day 20

   Blog »  
Lent - Day 20

Monday, March 9, 2015
     Jeff Lampl


       "He continued to pray just as he had always done."   Daniel 6:10



Begin
Silence, Stillness, and Centering before God (2 minutes)  

  Scripture Reading:  Psalm 23
  The Lord is my shepherd;
     I have all that I need.
  He lets me rest in green meadows;
     he leads me beside peaceful streams.
  He renews my strength.
     He guides me along right paths,
     bringing honor to his name.
  Even when I walk
     through the darkest valley,[
a]
     I will not be afraid,
     for you are close beside me.
     Your rod and your staff
     protect and comfort me.
  You prepare a feast for me
     in the presence of my enemies.
     You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
     My cup overflows with blessings.
  Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
     all the days of my life,
     and I will live in the house of the Lord
     forever.
 

 Devotional
 
In my earlier years as a believer I did not connect very well with the 23rd Psalm.  I think
  I was too literalistic to figure out how to apply it to my own life. In recent times I have
  come to value it greatly as a prayer guide. Below is how I have found myself “praying”
  this Psalm for myself and for others.

Lord, because You are my shepherd I really do have all that I need (“__________” really does have all that he/she needs).  Thank You for surrounding me (or whomever you are praying for) with your love and with people who love me and with the incredible world of Grace that I live (she/he lives) in. (you can continue praying this Psalm for others in this way) 

Lord, please provide for me moments of the peace that is experienced when I see green pastures and am beside quiet waters.    May that kind of peace overwhelm my soul in increasing measure. 

Thank you Lord for renewing my strength at just the exact time when I have needed you most and I ask once again that you give me the strength that I need for today.  

And Lord, lead me on your paths, especially when I don't want to go there, especially when it's hard, Lord, please provide me with exactly what I need to persevere on your path to life and life abundant.  Help me to pursue your purposes for my life in what lies before in the next hours of today. 

And Lord, even though I have felt the shadows of the valley of death, I do know that You have been with me every step of the way.   Because of that, Lord, I fear no evil.   

Your protective rod and staff have indeed been protecting me.  Thank you for that, Lord. 

And Lord, you have promised a feast ahead for those who trust in You.  I know that your love is with me even when I falter in my trust, even when I find it impossible to believe that a feast really is ahead for me.   

You are lavishing me with blessings beyond what I deserve.  Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!  

And I am certain that goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and that I not only will but am right now living in the "house of the Lord" and will continue to do so for evermore.     

Amen


  Questions to Consider

  Can you imagine using this method of praying scripture as a primary means of praying
  for yourself and for others?  Which aspect of this pray is most meaningful to you.
 

Prayer

  Lord, Thank you.  Because You are my Shepherd, I do indeed have everything I need.          

 Conclude with Silence (2 minutes)



Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment