Friday, March 27, 2015

Lent Day 38


  Blog »  

Begin 

Silence, Stillness, and Centering before God (2 minutes)
 

Devotional     

My Favorite Way of Knowing
Friday, March 27, 2015
 



 

 

 

 

 

 
 
There is nothing in all of my experience in (?) years of living on earth that connects me to God and to Real and Actual life on Planet Earth and helps transport me out of my miserable little myopically perceived tiny realm of existence than the God given faculty given to all of God's image bearers.  It is the gift of imagination.

Perhaps the quote that describes best what Christianity has done for me is this one, the first part of which I have paraphrased for a little for clarity.  

"The waking world is considered by most people to be more real than the world of our dreams.  This is because it can contain within it the dreaming world: the dreaming world is judged less real because it cannot contain the world that I live in when I am awake.  

For the same reason I am certain that in passing from the scientific point of view to the theological, from pure reason to seeing things as God has revealed them to me, I have passed from dream to waking. Christian theology can fit science, art, morality, beauty, reason, and the sub-Christian religions into itself. The scientific point of view cannot fit any of these things into itself, not even science itself.  

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen not only because I see it but because by it I see everything else."                      CS Lewis.  

It is the last line of the quote that has captured me.  

I have discovered what CS Lewis discovered.   Through the Christian Story I can now see all the things I never saw before.  It’s like history, science, literature, entertainment, nature, relationships, work, world conflict, how the world really works, all of it now has a “glow” beneath it, above it, surrounding it, permeating it.    It all now makes sense.    The world is not just something I’m in and I’m simply to make the best of.   It’s God’s world.  God is what it’s about.   God is what everything is about (even the worst of all evils is about God in the sense that it exists only as an “anti” thing.  Without its “anti”-ness” it wouldn’t exist, just as bad doesn’t exist without there first being a good off of which all bad and evil live as a parasite)  

In short, the only way a very primitive creature could ever know what is to be known about a very advanced creature is for the advanced creature to explain, reveal itself, to the lesser creature.   And in that explanation, in that self-revelation of the superior creature, the lesser creature could only apprehend what was revealed according to its limited capacities.    An eagle revealing itself to an earthworm, might result in the earthworm describing the eagle as gnat because that’s the only analogous thing the earthworm has experience.   

I’m the earthworm trying to comprehend what God is like based on what’s he’s revealed to me about Himself.   Therefore I use the faculty of imagination, just like the writer of revelation.    He didn’t make up anything, instead he described the indescribable with the best of what he could imagine, and that took him to the truth of God and God’s world.   

When I read the Chronicles of Narnia, for example, my mind, heart, passions, yearnings, and imagination all soar.   In so many ways there is more truth to be apprehended in our God given, God led imaginings than in any rational/scientific mode of discovering truth.  Of course imagination has to be driven and directed by God but ironically God’s “boundaries” are expansive, they end up taking our minds and hearts to God places we could never dream up on our own. 


Question to Consider

In what ways do you allow your mind and heart to soar as you imagine God’s great world both transcending and breaking into yours?   What kinds of things might you do in order to meet God through imagination, beauty, or truth bearing fiction?


Prayer

“Lord, thank you for the gift of imagination.  I believe that imagination is not a truth avoiding faculty, rather a truth discovering one.  Help me Lord to be attentive to all the ways you want me to be able to encounter you, be it in a move, taking in an art show, walking through the woods, or sculpting a clay pot.  May you give me the gift of encountering you in every aspect of my life.  Amen."

Conclude with Silence   (2 minutes)

 
Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

1 comment:

  1. Pastor,
    This has been a wonderful and enlightening three-part blog on the ways we can know and experience God. Thank you for this series.

    I do need to "take you to task" on the point you used to introduce these blogs: "...our brightest and best Christian apologists are tacitly ceding the argument for Christianity in favor of their opponents by inadvertently debating on the epistemological turf (reason, science, proofs, physical and historical evidence) of their opponents."

    I think it is important to realize that "reason, science, proofs" should be able to reveal God to us. In fact, it's been said that God meets us where we are when we are seeking Him. Many of us first needed to see that the reality of Him (or in my case, His Son) could be proven rationally. For me that came through "More Than a Carpenter". Some may need more than that; some less. And God - the Creator of science - will provide more to those who are earnestly seeking (and to many who are not).

    That said, your set of blogs has opened my mind to realize that the rational proof that I needed before I was an infant in Christ was perhaps just baby formula to start me off. As I grow I should also partake in as many of the other ways to know Him (...as I can handle).

    God bless,
    Bob R.

    ReplyDelete