Thursday, May 2, 2013

Blog » Where is the Power in the Lords Supper?
Thursday, May 2, 2013 
 
 

As you prepare for the Celebration of the Lord’s Supper this Sunday I encourage you read Psalm 51.   It was written by King David after Nathan had confronted him regarding his adultery with Bathsheba, the wife of one his generals.    

The Lord’s Supper (also known as Communion or the Eucharist) is not magic.   It is through Jesus death and resurrection (re-enacted in the Lord’s Supper) that God accomplished your freedom from all sin, death, and whatever debilitating agent may have a grip on you.   Your freedom and healing has been accomplished.   Yet it is your task to receive that freedom.  

I recently read that  a Christian rescue team arranged for the escape of a young woman from the slavery of the sex trade.    The team did everything necessary to set her free including meeting her with a car at a set time.   She was arrived but when it came time to get into the car, she hesitated, looked freedom in eye, turned around, and walked back into her slavery and to a certain early death.  

In this Psalm, David is rescued from imprisonment in his sin and in his consequent own self justification.   When presented with the opportunity to be free or stay imprisoned, he chose freedom.   How so?   He came clean.    He died to his own pride.   He admitted the depth not only of his sinful behavior but also of his sinful heart.  He admitted he needed God.   In this action of contrition, humility, and utter dependence on God’s forgiveness and Grace David was set free.    It is for this reason that David,  adulterer and murderer,  is known today as “a man after Gods’ own heart”.    
 
Psalm 51:1-19(NLT)
“ Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. Because of your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins.
 Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin.
 For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night.
 Against you, and you alone, have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your sight. You will be proved right in what you say, and your judgment against me is just.
 For I was born a sinner— yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.
 But you desire honesty from the womb, teaching me wisdom even there.
 Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
 Oh, give me back my joy again; you have broken me— now let me rejoice.
 Don’t keep looking at my sins. Remove the stain of my guilt.
 Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me.
 Do not banish me from your presence, and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.
 Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you.
 Then I will teach your ways to rebels, and they will return to you.
 Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves; then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.
 Unseal my lips, O Lord, that my mouth may praise you.
 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one. You do not want a burnt offering.
 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God”


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous03 May, 2013

    I've had a hard time with this Psalm because of the line " Against you, and you alone, have I sinned". If this is - as scholars state - repentence for killing Uriah, then did David not sin against Uriah, Bathsheba, the general who he ordered to send Uriah into harm's way, as well as God? When we sin do we not have an obligation to be repentant to the person(s) we've wronged? It seems that privately bringing this to God is actually just avoiding repentance; not true repentance.

    Am I misunderstanding "sin"? Is it just semantics?: Can you only sin against God, but "wrong" a person? If so, why do you even need to say to God "and you alone"? Or is it a poor translation?

    Bob R.

    ReplyDelete