Monday, May 20, 2013


Blog » “Impossible to Overstate”
Monday, May 20, 2013   Jeff Lampl



Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, to be like ourselves. They will reign over the fish in the sea, the birds in the sky, the livestock, all the wild animals on the earth, and the small animals that scurry along the ground.”
 So God created human beings in his own image. In the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.                                             Genesis 1:26-27 (NLT)  

I think it is impossible to overstate the importance of the first three chapters of Genesis.  

I decided/God made me a follower of Jesus in late 1979.   As I studied and learned as much as I could my initial thoughts were that these three chapters were pretty flimsy support for an entire worldview.   However looking back now with the benefit of over thirty year’s experience, I now think that these three chapters contain the foundation for everything in life.  

We are introduced to a God who is plural yet one, is beyond me, created me, created me in his image, in such a way that I am incomplete without the opposite sex (by this I do not mean you have to be married to be complete----no one experiences completeness in this because of chapter three), interjects himself into this world (he took lifeless atoms, piled them together in a unique way and, bingo, out of no life is life --- that’s intervention!!!!!  Gen 2:7).    

And this is just the beginning!  More tomorrow.   For now, though, we’ve already differentiated the biblical God from pantheism, panentheism, atheism and polytheism.  

Meanwhile, what does it mean to you that the image of God is found in Male and Female together?   To me it means that unless there is some way that these two categories of human beings are reconciled we humans are falling short of the image of God.  

So how are you treating opposite sex people in your world these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment