Wednesday, May 22, 2013


Blog » Condemned to Celibacy?
Wednesday, May 22, 2013   Jeff Lampl


” God honored the Master's body by raising it from the grave. He'll treat yours with the same resurrection power.
 Until that time, remember that your bodies are created with the same dignity as the Master's body. You wouldn't take the Master's body off to a whorehouse, would you? I should hope not.
 There's more to sex than mere skin on skin. Sex is as much spiritual mystery as physical fact. As written in Scripture, "The two become one."
 Since we want to become spiritually one with the Master, we must not pursue the kind of sex that avoids commitment and intimacy, leaving us more lonely than ever—the kind of sex that can never "become one."
 There is a sense in which sexual sins are different from all others. In sexual sin we violate the sacredness of our own bodies, these bodies that were made for God-given and God-modeled love, for "becoming one" with another.
 Or didn't you realize that your body is a sacred place, the place of the Holy Spirit? Don't you see that you can't live however you please, squandering what God paid such a high price for? The physical part of you is not some piece of property belonging to the spiritual part of you.
 God owns the whole works. So let people see God in and through your body.”
                                                                               1 Corinthians 6:14-20 (MSG)
 


I was once asked, “So, if I don’t get into a heterosexual marriage, I am condemned to celibacy for the rest of my life.  Is that right?”    That’s a good question, don’t you think?
 

What would you say to a single straight or gay person who only sees God’s “NO”.  

Of a thousand responses I can think of (okay that’s more than I can actually think of) there’s only one that I can think of that cuts to the core of the question.   If sin is distrusting God and His Goodness (and I think that’s sin’s best definition), then getting life right means trusting God and what He’s revealed of himself to us.    This leads to two things.  

If I’m a gay or straight single, my choice of celibacy is at its deepest level is my declaration of trust that God is providing me all I need and withholding nothing that would be good for me.  
If sexual oneness with another were good for me as an unmarried person, He would have provided it.  

Second, no one, not one person who ever lived, has ever found ultimate fulfillment, no matter how happily married.    Each of us has a hole in our soul which will not be filled until the next life.  

Conclusion?   Redefine each of your unfulfilled desires.   They are not joy and happiness withheld.  They are joy and happiness deferred until that which actually brings joy and happiness arrives.    That arrival is the arrival of God himself.

1 comment: