Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Jesus and Old Testament Really Weird Laws

  Blog »    Jesus and Old Testament Really Weird Laws 

Wednesday, March 12, 2014   Jeff Lampl


"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.  I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
‘Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven”             Matthew 5:17-20 (NIV)

 

First, I encourage you to listen to the song which I referenced in Sunday’s message.   A really, really big part of me thinks that this is greatest song ever composed and ever sung.    Here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnaZlwme8Sw
 

That kind of captures Jesus big point in the first part of the Sermon on Mount.   The sequence of his sermon is essential.   God’s free offer of Grace to every person on the planet is the context for every thing he says in chapters 5, 6, and 7.  

Next Jesus tells his audience that every detail of the Old Testament Law is being fulfilled by God’s having come to earth in Himself.   So, what about the laws that mandate capital punishment for a teen who’s cussed out his mother, or no trimming of the beard or no cooking a goat in his mother’s milk?   The former is about family respect and behavior, the second is about people noticing that you’re different because of God, and the third is a reminder that we are not well off when we mix allegiances (cheese doesn’t mix with meat as a metaphor for not mixing priorities).  

Jesus arrives and gets to the heart of Law.   Law is only an imperfect method of arranging  life so that we self oriented people are organized into not getting in each other’s way.   Jesus is about something way bigger than that.   He came to change hearts, motivations, character, our inner selves, so that, much more than self policing,  each of us grows an inner ‘want to’, an inner desire to achieve the best for others.   Jesus seeks to change every human  motivation from avoidance of bad consequences for myself (law) to offering the best I have for the best of of others, even at my own expense (Grace)  

“Lord, please change me in that way.   Move me to care more about  the welfare of others, even over and above my own.   Lord as I proceed through this study on the Sermon on The Mount, please be my guide.   I want, Jesus, to be mentored by you.   Take me under your wing and transform me from what I am now into what you intend for me to become”  Amen

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

1 comment:

  1. What I'm not completely getting: just because we now think we know what these weird laws are about, does that mean we can justify shaving every morning and eating cheeseburgers or pepperoni pizza every night?

    ReplyDelete