Friday, March 28, 2014

Enough

   Blog »    Enough  

Friday, March 28, 2014

 

"When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I  tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast . . .  wash your face, so that it will not be obvious . . . that you are fasting . .  .  and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you”
                                                     
Matthew 6:16-18 (NIV)  

Fasting is a spiritual practice which teaches us over time that what we really need is God.    In relinquishing my claim to fulfill some immediate desire,  I am proclaiming that my true need is God.   It’s interesting that fasting is rarely practiced by Protestants, yet those who do fast as a regular aspect of their spiritual disciplines find themselves “coming alive” in ways nothing else was able to accomplish.  

I think it comes down to a very simple thing.   The prayer, “Lord please give me today what I need”  (line 5 of Jesus’ sermon on the Mount) is a prayer of trust that every day I ask this I get exactly what God deems necessary for me to flourish in His good world.  

Perhaps it comes down to one other simple thing as well.   Fasting in the Bible is not an effort to give up something in order to get something.   That would like trying to earn Grace, an oxymoron.  Rather, in the Bible fasting is a response,  usually to a crisis.   It is a way of entering into the crises, the pain of it.   As God enters into the pain of our world, we can fast (from food - I’m not actually sure that fasting from electronics counts) as our way of being fully present with others in the time of need.   In doing so we are with the other as God is with us.   It is in the with that God’s power is transferred.   In this way fasting, like prayer, obedience, trust, belief, faith, worship and all the rest of Christianity, is profoundly relational. 

“Lord, give me the grace I need to practice simply being in your presence without any other agenda getting in the way.    And Lord, show me if you want me to fast.  Then, if you indeed lead me to to do so, give me the will to do it in whatever way you think will grow my into a deeper love of You and others.   I love you Lord, Amen”

 

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment