Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Blog » Asking the Hard Questions, Part 2

NOTE: For the next few weeks our student intern from Westminster Theological Seminary, Nick Cirino, will be writing the blogs. Nick’s heart for God tremendous and I value his insights into scripture. Keeping digging into Philippians!!!  Pastor Jeff 
 
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 Nick Cirino



So let’s talk about asking questions. 

Yesterday, we talked about how everyone has different methods of studying the Bible. Today I’m going to share one I use, based roughly on the method that uses Observation, Interpretation, and Application. 

My challenge to you this week is to try this method. You may not like it at first or even after finishing it. But then again, you might. And it could be a tool that you use from time to time. It’s not complicated, but we’ll cover it in small steps.
Second, start reading through the text and writing down questions. Ask any question you think is relevant. Ask obvious questions. Ask the hard questions. Make observations. Mark up the page! 
  • “How is verse 1 and 2 related?”
  • “How can the Philippians make Paul’s joy complete?”
  • “How do I do NOTHING from selfish ambition or conceit?”
  • “When he says I should not look out for my own interests, does he mean I shouldn’t take
     care of my
    stuff? What does he mean?”
  • “Paul says we should have the same attitude that was in Christ...what does this look  
     like?

  • ”Here’s some (rather rough) examples from my study of Philippians 1 and 2:
     
     
     
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment