Wednesday, May 30, 2012

This Week's Reading: Galatians

Where did Paul get his Information about God?

“Dear brothers and sisters, I want you to understand that the gospel message I preach is not based on mere human reasoning.   I received my message from no human source, and no one taught me. Instead, I received it by direct revelation from Jesus Christ."    Galatians 1:11-12(NLT)

To me what Paul writes here is astonishing. Paul does not ground his teachings on Christ on the insights of scholars, or eyewitnesses, or the teachings of the apostles who knew Jesus firsthand. Instead he is explicit in his claim that he got everything he taught from an encounter with the resurrected Jesus Himself. (see 2 Corinthians 12 for more on this).  

Paul comes back “from Heaven” and based on that teaches first and foremost, Grace. He teaches forgiveness and freedom through the cross and the resurrection of the dead to a new bodily existence in the renewed creation.
 
If you are like me, you trust the wisdom of those who have actually experienced what they are talking about. Paul’s assertion here cuts to the chase. If you believe him, then you are fascinated by everything he says. If you don’t believe him, then you are skeptical. 

God seems to love making the best things in life operate this way. We’ve got to trust and believe before we can know and discover. The other way around most often leaves us stuck. 

Prayer

“Lord, I would love to know everything the Paul experienced when he “went to Heaven”, but since I can’t I’ll take to heart everything he’s told us based on that experience. Help me to read this, His first letter, with eyes wide open to what you have for me. Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment