Monday, March 5, 2012

Matthew 1 & 2
Jesus' Ministry Begins

The Crucial Difference

"After his baptism, as Jesus came up out of the water, the heavens were opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and settling on him. And a voice from heaven said, 'This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy.'" Matthew 3:16-17

“you must be born again” John 3:7

Reflection

Can you imagine hearing these words spoken by God to you, “this is my dearly beloved son/daughter, who brings me great joy”? The disciple John, writer of the Gospel called himself “the one Jesus loves”. Can you say that about yourself? At Jesus’ last supper, Peter at first refused to let Jesus wash his feet because he felt unworthy. Yet Jesus said that Peter couldn’t have any part of him unless Jesus did that. Have you, metaphorically speaking, let Jesus wash your feet? 

It is this one step, this swallowing of my “reverse pride” that says “I cannot possibly be loved like that” that is for many the most formidable barrier to living the life God wants you to live. 

Practice calling yourself what John called himself. Practice imagining God saying to you what He said to Jesus.  

God is crazy about you. When God first thought of you before you were even conceived, his heart overflowed with love for you. 

Prayer

“Lord, yes, it is more blessed to give than to receive, but it is harder to receive than to give, at least for me. Please Lord teach me the humility that accepts your love and acceptance in spite of what I know about myself.    In  Jesus’ name. Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment