Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Ultimate Confidence in God


Blog »

The Ultimate Confidence in God 

Wednesday, May 20, 2015
Jeff Lampl

Scripture  

“In my first book I told you, Theophilus, about everything Jesus began to do and teach 2  until the day he was taken up to heaven after giving his chosen apostles further instructions through the Holy Spirit.”                               Acts 1:1-2 (NLT)  

“So let everyone in Israel know for certain that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, to be both Lord and Messiah!”     Acts 2:36 (NLT)


Reflect
 

In the first two chapters of Acts Luke records the ascension of Jesus to the position of ruler of the Universe, with all authority over heaven and earth.  Jesus has become Lord.  

For most of my adult and Christian life I had no idea why the ascension mattered.   I’ve finally come to understand what the disciples experienced.   Peter makes it clear that the ascension is far more than a momentary disappearing act.  Rather, just as a monarch’s ascension to the throne means the assumption of authority over a kingdom, Jesus’ ascension meant to the disciples that Jesus was Lord, that Jesus is ruling the world, not Caesar, not the corrupt tax collectors, not the Roman military, not oppressors or enemies or bad circumstances.   Jesus is Lord.  And those three words were the Gospel that the disciples spread throughout Judea and beyond.  

In order to understand how huge this is take time to reflect on the following quote from scholar and author J.I. Packer.  

               "‘God is love’ is everything.   Every single thing that happens to me is an
               expression of  God’s love for me
. . . at every moment and in every event
               of every day of my  life. Even when I cannot see the why of what God does
               or doesn’t do, The Gospel tells me that there is love in it and so he can
               rejoice always, and therefore when things are going wrong. I know that the
               true story of my life and my family’s  life, if I could see it now, will prove to be,
               as the hymn says, ‘amazing, amazing, amazing Grace!!”

Comment    

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment