Friday, April 24, 2015

If Anyone Says, "I Love God" Part 2


  Blog »  
Friday, April 24, 2015


Begin 
Silence and  Stillness  (2 minutes)  


Scripture 
 

12 I am writing to you who are God’s children
    because your sins have been forgiven through Jesus.
13 I am writing to you who are mature in the faith
    because you know Christ, who existed from the beginning.
I am writing to you who are young in the faith
    because you have won your battle with the evil one.
14 I have written to you who are God’s children
    because you know the Father.
I have written to you who are mature in the faith
    because you know Christ, who existed from the beginning.
I have written to you who are young in the faith
    because you are strong.
God’s word lives in your hearts,
    and you have won your battle with the evil one.    
1 John 2:12-14


Reflect
 

Because John (probably John the Elder) is probably quoting familiar, creed-like statements in 2:12-14, many translations like the one above, make this passage look like a quotation. Just as we might quote a hymn, creed or verse of Scripture to remind ourselves what we believe and to what we are committed, so here John quotes these lines to serve exactly that purpose.   They are lines of encouragement and reminder.  

John is taking his readers back to the beginning of their faith, and reminding them of what they have always believed. He has talked about the message that they have had from the beginning (1:1; 2:7), and now he summarizes its content at greater length. He wants his readers to remember who they are, what they have been given, and to remain strong in that.



Question to Consider 

Take a few minutes to reread today's passage.  Which one line encourages you the most?  Why?  What would it mean for you to "live out" the truth of that line as you go through your day today?



Prayer
 
"Lord, it is astonishing to think that I am actually your child, that you forgive the worst of my sins, that you have won the battle over evil because of which I am not a victim, rather I am through you a victor over sin and evil.  Help me today to breathe deep these truths, to stand tall today knowing that wherever I go, you have gone ahead of me and have prepared the way.  In Christ's name, Amen."
       


Conclude
 with Silence   (2 minutes)

 
Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment