Tuesday, September 27, 2011








THE STORY                   

Reading for Sunday, October 2
THE STORY, Chapter 2 (Genesis Chapters 12-13, 15-17, 21-22, 32-33, 35; Romans 4, Hebrews 11)

What is Faith?

“By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. . . . he lived in tents . . For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God” Hebrews 11:8-10(NIV)

Do you have Intellectual faith, Temporal faith or Saving Faith?

Intellectual faith is believing in the truth of the Gospel but not acting on it. Even demons have intellectual faith (James 2:19). Intellectual faith does not make one a Christian.

Temporal faith is trusting God for my material and physical needs. It is a faith which, instead of revolving around God, rather revolves around self one’s needs. This is not saving faith either. This kind of faith still has “me” at the center of my universe. Neither temporal nor intellectual faith will save me from my sin and grant me entrance into God’s Kingdom.

Saving faith is demonstrated by Abraham. When called he went, he acted, he obeyed. He left home, family and nation and had only God’s word that the future was safe. He lived in tents. Although real, the tents are also symbolic. Living in a tent symbolizes being ready at any point to leave what I am into and follow God. Why? Because his faith wouldn’t settle for less than the one and only foundation of all of life, God Himself.

Is your faith intellectual, temporal or saving?


Prayer

“Lord, if I’m honest my faith often falls into the first two categories. Yet the details of Abraham’s life reveal a man who’s faith is inconsistent. But Lord,  he went, he acted, he risked, he put feet to his faith. I know Lord, that without obedience I have no faith. Today Lord, give me the attentiveness to you to hear your call and to obey it.    Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment