Thursday, September 29, 2011








Reading for Sunday, October 2
    
THE STORY, Chapter 2 (Genesis Chapters 12-13, 15-17, 21-22, 32-33, 35; Romans 4, Hebrews 11)

The Sacrifice Isaac

“Later God tested Abraham and called to him, 'Abraham!' 'Yes, here I am!' he answered. God said, 'Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains that I will show you.'"   Genesis 22:1-2

To Be a Christian, Sacrifice is Required

It’s almost as if God and Abraham were debating. “take your son” . . "my son?” . . .. “yes, your only son” . . . “but he’s everything to me” . . . .”yes take the son whom you love” . . . “but” . . . . . "and go to Moriah and sacrifice him there."

In the ancient near eastern world of Abraham, child sacrifice, especially of the first born, was frequently practiced as a way to bribe the gods. If I give the gods my best, then they will hopefully give me their best. Abraham must have thought that God was like those gods, so he obeyed. God provided a ram to sacrifice instead and thereby saved Isaac. The point is that God was teaching that human sacrifice is not required. Later in that same region (Moriah is among the hills of Jerusalem) another Father (God) did indeed sacrifice his son (Jesus) so that we would not have to die in our sins.

Yet, Christianity does demand sacrifice from believers. Can any love relationship exist without it? Can I love anyone without it. Can I be a husband or wife worthy of the title without giving up things precious to my heart for the sake of the one I love? It’s not possible. Nor is it possible to love God (the first great commandment in both testaments) without sacrifice. God gave me his best. What are you withholding from Him?

Prayer

“Lord, please forgive me for living for myself. Please forgive my selfishness and petty wants and desires. Lord, here I am. Whatever you want me to release, I will release. Help me to hear your voice and obey it. May I learn from the test of Abraham. Amen"

1 comment:

  1. I wonder:

    Abraham, father of faith, was told by God:
    -that he would be made into a great nation
    -that he would, indeed, have an heir (when it looked just the opposite)
    -he was told who that heir would be (Isaac)
    -and that God would make an everlasting covenant through this heir

    Things were pretty much spelled out. Abraham saw some proof of God's word through the birth of Isaac. And Abraham's belief in God's promise brought results as God, of course, knew Abraham's heart.

    But, even more telling for me, is Abraham's reply to Isaac, when Isaac asked where was the lamb to be sacrificed?

    Abraham replied,
    "God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering,my son"

    I wonder, could Abraham have had a more profound understanding of God's promise than we think?

    "God will provide the lamb" ....

    It's as though by following through with the directions from God, Abraham was saying to Him, "I know you. I love you. I trust you. And I believe in your plan."

    I have to ask myself, do I live as though I know, love, trust, and believe in God's plan? His plan of living hope and an eternal future?

    I just had a close relative of mine go to the Lord last week. Cancer. He was a strong believer. My last words to him just a couple of days before he died was something that God showed me awhile back in my quiet time, I believe for Harry. A simple phrase, an endearing phrase to me.

    "Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom " Luke 12:32

    Abraham knew the kingdom was promised through Isaac and he knew God would "provide the lamb".

    "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him, endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Amen.

    ReplyDelete