Monday, September 26, 2011

Pastor's Blog - Monday, September 26, 2011





THE STORY

Reading for Sunday, October 2 THE STORY, Chapter 2 (Genesis Chapters 12-13, 15-17, 21-22, 32-33, 35; Romans 4, Hebrews 11)

God's Promise to Abraham and Through Him to Us

“The LORD had said to Abram, 'Go from your country, your people and your father's household to the land I will show you.
I will make you into a great nation,
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” Genesis 12:1-3 (NIV)

I am Blessed to Be a Blessing

"all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." Genesis 12:1-3 (NIV)

At the top of page 8 of THE STORY we read that life after the flood had become 'one big party with no thought of consequences" (makes me think of college!). Yet God does not give up on humanity.

God starts again with one man, Abram. God's plan? It is to build a nation from his descendants and then through this nation to bless the world. Yes, the Old Testament teaches its readers that God created the descendants of Abraham through Isaac and Jacob to be a nation through which the world would come to know God as their God and there by live lives of abundance and blessing. Notice this verse:

"I'm setting you (Israel) up as a light for the nations so that my salvation becomes global!" Isaiah 49:6

Prayer

“Lord, as a follower of Jesus, having been adopted into the family of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, I accept your call on and command to me to be a blessing to other people. Please open my eyes wide so that I do not miss your daily directing me to those who need You through me. Use me Lord to serve and pray for others, to be a blessing wherever you place me. Amen”

No comments:

Post a Comment