Wednesday, June 9, 2010

June 9, 2010

Is Compromise an Art or an Evil?
Deuteronomy 12:2-4 (MSG)

Ruthlessly demolish all the sacred shrines where the nations that you're driving out worship their gods—wherever you find them, on hills and mountains or in groves of green trees. 3 Tear apart their altars. Smash their phallic pillars. Burn their sex-and-religion Asherah shrines. Break up their carved gods. Obliterate the names of those god sites. 4 Stay clear of those places—don't let what went on there contaminate the worship of GOD, your God.
Deuteronomy 12:2-4 (MSG)

Pastor’s Blog

It has been said that politics is the art compromise. Compromise is not, however, championed in the Bible as an art, rather it is described as an evil.

I do get this. My car no longer has a radio or CD player, because, by the Grace of God it broke. Now as I drive around I no longer listen to talk radio covering either sports or politics. I’m now less polluted by critical spirits and cynical attitudes. Instead I take in the incredible beauty of southern Chester county which is a manifestation of the beauty of God.

How do feel about modern day “phallic” symbols and “sex . . . .shrines” (vs 2) which fill the airwaves on TV, radio, internet, and all the other media with which we are inundated? I’m no different from you. If I’m not careful, if I don’t make tough disciplined decisions about what I value and what I don’t, if I don’t turn off what “drugs me into a compromised stupor”, then I’ll find myself valuing and desiring (worship) what the secular media moguls want me to value and desire (worship).

I wish I could report to you that I removed the radio from my car because I recognized that it was polluting me. No, it just broke. But in that simple event my eyes are opened more widely, not only to more of God with out the radio, but also to the power talk radio had over me. It was hard to just turn it off.

Moses told his people to be ruthless about all these other so called gods. After all, Moses had firsthand experience with commandments one, two and three and then there was that messy experience with a baby cow made out of gold.
Where are you ready to stop compromising?

(to post your thoughts, anonymously if you wish, simply click on “comments” below)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous09 June, 2010

    It's one thing if you are able recognize a choice as a compromise. I'm concerned that there's 99 choices I make that I don't even have a clue as being compromise for every one that I do.

    ReplyDelete