Tuesday, June 8, 2010

June 8, 2010

Obedience is Abundance
Deuteronomy 11:26-28 (NLT)

“Look, today I am giving you the choice between a blessing and a curse! 27 You will be blessed if you obey the commands of the LORD your God that I am giving you today. 28 But you will be cursed if you reject the commands of the LORD your God and turn away from him and worship gods you have not known before." Deuteronomy 11:26-28(NLT)

Pastor’s Blog

I love it when a scripture is plain and simple with a “can’t miss” clarity.

Each of has been given a choice. This is part of what it means to be created in the image of God. Choice is a HUGE thing. It’s a “God part” of us. It is a gift which carries incredible responsibility. I can choose to obey God and be blessed. I can choose to disobey God and be “cursed”. Choices issue in outcomes. Although I think that the Bible leans in the direction of God’s sovereignty over our free will, there is nevertheless a sense in which each of us writes our own destiny. We do it with the BIG choice of to whom or what we give our allegiance. However the thousands of daily little choices we make can either strengthen our big choice or render it meaningless.

Choice is also a relationship word. My choices can kill or build any of my relationships. And I do have choice. No one can make me too angry or too hurt or too broken. I’m not doomed simply to live in victimhood to what others do to me. (read the brilliant book In Search of Meaning by Victor Frankl). Jesus made this so clear. I can choose to love him who hates me and forgive him who abuses me. I have choice.

Moses says, ‘exercise your gift.’ Exercise the image of God within you. Choose. Do things God’s way and blessings follow. Do things some other way and sooner or later you will find the opposite. Dlsobey God perpetually and you find the curse to be your eternal destiny.

(lest you be misled, no one obeys perfectly, which is why you and I need Jesus, who forgives our sins and makes us right with God if we trust Him. If, however, I choose perpetual disobedience and do not put my trust in Jesus, then hell is my destiny.)

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous08 June, 2010

    "For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future..." (Jer 29:11+) Every time I feel as though I am falling off a cliff, I try to stop and ask 'do you believe that or don't you? If you do, then act on it and move forward in obedience and trust.' I won't say it's easy but I will say He's always right where He said He will be...with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RONN FLETCHER08 June, 2010

    PLAIN, SIMPLE , CAN'T MISS CLARITY...
    TOTALLY, TOTALLY AGREE !!
    Amen .

    Got any more like this to be shared soon ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous08 June, 2010

    "We do it with the BIG choice of to whom or what we give our allegiance. However the thousands of daily little choices we make can either strengthen our big choice or render it meaningless."

    Is it possible that the 'daily little choices" are indicative of what our BIG choice is?

    ReplyDelete