Friday, June 25, 2010

June 25, 2010

Are You a Good Example to Others?
Deuteronomy 26:16-19 (NLT)

"You have declared today that the LORD is your God. And you have promised to walk in his ways, and to obey his decrees, commands, and regulations, and to do everything he tells you. 18 The LORD has declared today that you are his people, his own special treasure, just as he promised, and that you must obey all his commands.

19 And if you do, he will set you high above all the other nations he has made. Then you will receive praise, honor, and renown. You will be a nation that is holy to the LORD your God, just as he promised.” Deuteronomy 26:16-19 (NLT)

Pastor’s Blog

Have you declared that the Lord is your God? If you have then it is necessary for there to be evidence of that declaration. What is the evidence that others see? Today’s passage tells us that the evidence that others ought to see is obedience to the teachings and commands of the Lord.

You will never obey perfectly, nor will I. God’s provision for that is confession, repentance and receiving forgiveness.

However there must be some visible evidence of God in your life so that God can use you as an example to others (vs 19). That was Israel’s purpose, to live in such a way that others would see the goodness of the Lord and want that for themselves.

It’s a pretty big responsibility isn’t it? I don’t like it either that God wants me, unholy me, to be an example of the Goodness of God to others. Yet so it is.

We must take this task very seriously and somehow determine to live to a higher standard of love and obedience to God than the nominally believing or unbelieving society around us.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous26 June, 2010

    This is where, I think, many God fearing, devoted Christens get a bad rap. Many think these Christens are to be perfect just because they believe, are proclaimed sons and daughters of God. Then when we goof up, we are bashed by others who placed such high expectations on Christians. Do we come off as perfect or have we given the wrong message, used such body language to give that impression? I know I put high expectations on myself as a Christian. When I goof up I admit that I am hard on myself, disappoint myself. I do want to be the best I can be for my Abba Daddy. More so I have come to that place where I want others to see Jesus in me and less of me, myself. I have found myself laying it all down again, and asking Jesus to place back in my hands that which He wants. I feel I have failed even in using my gifts, talents, skills, etc., if in doing so I have removed Jesus from receiving the glory, the acknowledgment, the thanks. I ask myself if it is worth it if they don't see Jesus in the things I do. I think of how authors are recognized by their writings or books. Likewise artists by their paintings. So why not the author and finisher of my faith, the One who designed me and created me for His pleasure?

    ReplyDelete