Friday, February 13, 2015

Our Goal? Loving Well!

Blog »
            
Our Goal?  Loving Well!

Friday, February 13, 2015
Jeff Lampl
But Why?

Psychologist M. Scot Peck recalls a time when he met a high school classmate at the age of fifteen. Here are his reflections after a conversation with his friend:

I suddenly realized that for the entire ten-minute period from when I had first seen my acquaintance until that very moment, I had been totally self-preoccupied. For the two or three minutes before we met, all I was thinking about was the clever things I might say that would impress him. During our five minutes together, I was listening to what he had to say only so that I might turn it into a clever rejoinder. I watched him only so that I might see what effect my remarks were having upon him. And for the two or three minutes after we separated, my sole thought was of those things I could have said that might have impressed him even more.
I had not cared a whit for my classmate.
 
What is most startling in reading this detailed explanation of what was going on beneath the surface of this fifteen-year-old boy, is the recognition that the same dynamics continue for most of us into our twenties, thirties, fifties, seventies, and nineties! We remain trapped in living a pretend life—always seeking the approval of others, always focusing on ourselves.
 
True freedom comes when we regularly connect with God, the wellspring of our life, discover His overwhelming Love and Grace, believe it and therefore receive it so that we have the emotional  wealth available to focus on others**
 
Those who receive at the Well are those who overflow in service to others
 
**adapted from Day by Day, Week 2, Day 5

Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl

No comments:

Post a Comment