Friday, February 27, 2015

Develop a "Rule of Life" Day 5


  Blog »  
Next Step:  Develop a "Rule of Life" 
 Day 5

Friday, February 27, 2015
         Jeff Lampl


"He continued to pray just as he had always done."   Daniel 6:10


Begin
Silence, Stillness, and Centering before God (2 minutes)  

Scripture Reading:   Romans 8:14–17

  For those who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. The Spirit you received 
 does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received
 brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit
 himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we
 are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in
 order that we may also share in his glory.

 

 Devotional        
 Jesus constantly addressed the Almighty, eternal, infinite Yahweh as “Abba,” an intimate, 
 warm, familiar word a child would use––not unlike “Daddy.” The heart of the Gospel is that
 Jesus gives his disciples
the authority to address God as Father. Through Jesus, we too, 
 are Abba’s child.

 

 Contemplative spirituality moves us along toward a more mature relationship with God. We
 progress from the “give me, give me, give me” attitude of a small child to a more mature
 way of relating with God in which we delight in being with him as our “Abba Father.” The
 progression of this movement can be broken down as follows:

 

  Talking at God: This is simply parroting what our parents or authorities told us to pray. For example, “Bless me, Lord, for these thy gifts, which we are about to receive through Christ our Lord, amen.”  

  Talking to God: We become more comfortable finding our own words to speak to God, rather than using the ready-made prayers of our childhoods. For example, “Give me, give me, give me more, O God.”  

  Listening to God: At this point we begin to listen to God, and we begin to enjoy a two-way relationship with him.  

  Being with God: Finally, we simply enjoy being in the presence of God––who loves us. This is far more important than any particular activity we might do with him. His presence makes all of life fulfilling. 86          

Questions to Consider

  What fears are you carrying that you can release to your Abba Father today?          

Prayer

  Lord, I believe that living a life in your presence is what makes all of life fulfilling. I am just   not sure how to get to that point in my spiritual walk. I want to grow beyond a “give me,
  give me” relationship with you. Fill me with the Holy Spirit so that I might learn to enjoy
  being with you and stop simply going to you for your gifts and blessings. In Jesus’ name,
  amen.          


  Conclude with Silence (2 minutes)



Comment
   

For more:   follow on Twitter @jefflampl  

No comments:

Post a Comment